Start date: September 2022
We would love to receive your application and recommend you apply as soon as possible. We may need to close the role early when we have high levels of applications and do not want you to miss out!
We want you to be motivated and passionate for the Apprenticeship you apply to, so will only accept ONE Apprenticeship application per candidate each year. Please do your research before applying and select the one Apprenticeship you wish to apply to – good luck with your application!
An ideal candidate for GSK will have:
- Strong competence in maths and quantitative techniques with an avid interest to apply them in a business context
- An ability and interest in coding (e.g. Python, R, Java).
- An ability and passion for the use of statistical techniques and design of experiments.
- Ability to work in teams, achieve defined goals and implement agreed plans.
- Strong communication skills for a variety of expert and non-expert audiences.
- An innovative mindset with the ability to solve problems and adapt to change
This apprenticeship programme offers the opportunity to undertake an apprenticeship at bachelor’s degree level whilst simultaneously gaining valuable experience in a leading global healthcare company.
The Data Science team at GSK Consumer Healthcare supports and drives a variety of innovations across R&D, marketing, and supply chain, through the integrative use of internal and external data for the application of advanced analytics, optimisation, machine learning and AI in complex business issues. Our technical competencies are diverse and contribute to multiple phases of the product development pipeline from scoping, prototyping, deployment and continuous improvement via DevOps. Our work has a resulting impact on new healthcare products and remedies to support our strategic goals of delivering better everyday health for humanity.
Why Consumer Healthcare?
Right now, we’re on an incredible journey as we prepare to become the first independent, 100% focused consumer healthcare company. We’re doing this at a time when the work we do has never mattered more. Better everyday health is about improving the health and wellness of the consumers that we touch every year – over a billion and a half of them – and it goes beyond products. It’s about truly helping people manage their health proactively in different ways as consumer needs evolve.
With category leading brands such as Sensodyne, Voltaren and Centrum, built on trusted science and human understanding, and combined with our passion, knowledge and expertise, we’re uniquely placed to do this and to grow a strong, successful business.
This is an exciting time to join us and help shape the future. It’s an opportunity to be part of something special.
Achieve your career goals on our apprentice programme
The Data Scientist Degree Apprenticeship with Anglia Ruskin University (ARU) in partnership with Cambridge Spark is to develop skills to apply advanced data science tools and techniques at GSK that will inform strategic decision making. The 4-year programme covers blended learning of immersive teaching and workplace learning that you will be simultaneously exposed to as part of the Data Science team at GSK Consumer Healthcare. The modules at ARU will cover such topics as:
- Computational Concepts and Algorithms for Data Science
- Mathematics and Statistics
- Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence
- Deep Learning Techniques and Natural Language Processing
- Time Series Analysis
- Data Visualisation
- And a number of courses in Data Engineering and Information Systems.
Upon successful completion you will be awarded a BSc (Hons) degree from Anglia Ruskin University.
As a Data Science Apprentice, you will work with colleagues from around the business on projects ranging from the strategic to the tactical across a wide variety of brands and healthcare areas. You will apply your skills and learnings in the following activities:
- Extract, combine and manipulate data
- Devise solutions based on data science and machine learning techniques
- Share the knowledge acquired both internally and externally
- Influence the decisions taken by senior managers through robust and well-interpreted analyses
- Learn and use effective techniques for data visualisation and presentation
- Work with a diverse range of internal customers, peers, and offshore colleagues
- Manage your time and prioritise a mix of activities
- Summarise data and insights with a storytelling mindset to help stakeholders make informed business decisions
The UK commercial organisation is on a journey to becoming truly data-driven and you could be at the heart of this transformation.
What will you do?
You’ll be part of one of our teams in consumer healthcare with duties that will involve:
- Conducting a range of analytical techniques to collect, organise and describe data
- Prototyping and deploying models using robust statistical analysis and optimisation techniques to improve business performance
- Presenting the results of data analysis to a range of stakeholders making recommendations to drive decisions
- Applying the tools and techniques for data analysis, data visualisation and presentation including learning and adopting best practices in software development in a data science team
- Understanding how advanced analytics can be used to create competitive advantage in an ever-changing environment
- Using a range of machine learning and statistical analysis tools and techniques to gain insight into our data
- Reporting and presenting experimental results and research findings internally and externally.
You’ll be excited by the thought of:
- Applying independent investigation and knowledge to resolve complex business challenges
- Sharing knowledge with technical and non-technical audiences through publications and talks
- Being part of a team of talented and ambitious people
- Building your data analytics skills and business knowledge
- Working collaboratively with your peers and adopting best practices of Agile product delivery
- Using your problem-solving skills and tools to provide creative, independent solutions to support GSK’s strategy
- Have an opportunity to contribute to and be part of an evolving consumer business
- Achieving Industry accredited qualifications that proves your excellence in data analysis tools.
- A competitive starting base salary of £22,000 per year, rising to £23,000 after one year
- An annual bonus
- Benefit programmes benchmarked against industry standards
- A recognition programme to reward exceptional work by you and your team
- Training and development (including opportunities to attend events such as the Outward Bound)
- Access to employee health and well-being programmes
- A fully sponsored nationally recognised qualification
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion:
In Consumer Healthcare we embrace our diverse workforce by creating an inclusive environment that celebrates our unique perspectives, generates curiosity to create unmatched understanding of each other, and promotes fair and equitable outcomes for everyone.
We’re striving to create a climate where we celebrate our diversity in all forms by treating each other with respect, listening to different viewpoints, supporting our communities, and creating a workplace where your authentic self belongs and thrives.
Recently we’ve shared some exciting proposals with our colleagues which mark an important moment in our preparations for separation and becoming a new, standalone Consumer Healthcare company.
Our preparations are going well. GSK is on track to separate in mid-2022 and create two incredible new companies, each with the ability to improve the health of millions of patients and consumers worldwide, and both great places to work.
We’ve already confirmed that our new Consumer Healthcare company will be headquartered in the UK and the first step we’re taking is to announce proposals to move our CH business from our current location in GSK House in Brentford when we separate, into a new, CH headquarters in Weybridge. This will be a temporary, but important move in the short term, whilst we take this opportunity to design for the future and create an inspiring, flexible, collaborative workspace that meets the changing needs of our people and our business needs.
Inspired by our new culture and purpose, and with a commitment to our sustainability goals, we plan to build a new campus close by which would be home to our headquarters teams, our UK business, our global Oral Health category, R&D and innovation teams, as well as a state-of-the-art Shopper Science lab.
Get to grips with our recruitment process
You’ll find hints, tips and guidance on our recruitment process on our website – https://www.gsk.com/en-gb/careers/apprentices-students-and-graduates/apprentice-programmes/applying-for-our-apprentice-programme/
We have changed the way we recruit in light of the COVID-19 pandemic, you can learn more about how our practices have adapted here.
We accept ongoing applications and will close this vacancy once we have enough applications, so it’s best to apply as soon as possible as we do not want you to miss out!
We’re 100% open to all talent
We’re 100% open to all talent – whatever your gender, marital status, religion, age, colour, race, sexual orientation, nationality or disability. We want to recruit the right people for GSK from the widest possible backgrounds, so we can better serve the diversity of our patients and consumers. And also because it’s the right thing to do.
You can learn more about Inclusion and diversity at GSK here.
Need help with your application?
Please email us at email@example.com and let us know how we can help you. Or email us your number and we’ll call you back. We’ll make all reasonable modifications to support you throughout the recruitment process and we’ll treat all information you give us in confidence. Please get in touch to help us process your application as soon as possible.
As a company driven by our values of Patient focus, Transparency, Respect and Integrity, we know inclusion and diversity are essential for us to be able to succeed. We want all our colleagues to thrive at GSK bringing their unique experiences, ensuring they feel good and to keep growing their careers. As a candidate for a role, we want you to feel the same way.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are open to all talent. In the US, we also adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, colour, national origin, religion, gender, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class*(*US only).
We believe in an agile working culture for all our roles. If flexibility is important to you, we encourage you to explore with our hiring team what the opportunities are.
Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you’d like to discuss any adjustments to our process which might help you demonstrate your strengths and capabilities. You can either call us on 0808 234 4391, or send an email firstname.lastname@example.org
As you apply, we will ask you to share some personal information which is entirely voluntary. We want to have an opportunity to consider a diverse pool of qualified candidates and this information will assist us in meeting that objective and in understanding how well we are doing against our inclusion and diversity ambitions. We would really appreciate it if you could take a few moments to complete it. Rest assured, Hiring Managers do not have access to this information and we will treat your information confidentially.