Start date: September 2022
We would love to receive your application and recommend you apply as soon as possible – we may need to close the role early when we have high levels of applications and do not want you to miss out!
We want you to be motivated and passionate for the Apprenticeship you apply to – so will only accept ONE Apprenticeship application per candidate each year. Please do your research before applying and select the one Apprenticeship you wish to apply to – good luck with your application!
At GSK, we have already delivered unprecedented change over the past four years, improving R&D, becoming a leader in Consumer Healthcare, strengthening our leadership, and transforming our commercial execution. Now, we’re making the most significant changes we’ve made to our business in over 20 years.
We’re on track to separate and create two new companies in 2022
GSK with a leading portfolio of vaccines and specialty medicines as well as R&D based on immune system and genetics science; and a new world-leading consumer healthcare company of loved and trusted brands.
With new ambition comes new purpose. For New GSK, this is to unite science, talent, and technology to get ahead of disease together – all with the clear ambition of delivering human health impact; stronger and more sustainable shareholder returns; and as a new GSK where outstanding people thrive.
Getting ahead means preventing disease as well as treating it. How we do all this is through our people and our culture. A culture that is ambitious for patients – so we deliver what matters better and faster; accountable for impact – with clear ownership of goals and support to succeed; and where we do the right thing. So, if you’re ready to improve the lives of billions, join us at this exciting moment in our journey. Join our challenge to get Ahead Together.
Achieve your career goals on our apprentice programme
On our 4.5 year programme you’ll receive tailored on-the-job training from industry experts from day one combined with early responsibility to help you to develop and progress.
You’ll be working towards a Bachelors degree (BSc) in Applied Bioscience. This programme will be taught through block release and blended distance learning.
If you are offered a role; you will have a buddy or a mentor who will help you to prepare for joining GSK and will be there to offer support and guidance throughout your apprenticeship.
Working with both your line and programme manager we want to identify the right opportunities to help you succeed in the short term and throughout your career with us.
What will you do?
You will be part of one of our Research and Development R&D teams. Your apprenticeship will be in one of our cutting edge biology teams, based at our R&D site in Stevenage.
Stevenage is GSK’s UK R&D Hub, which is the heart of innovation, discovering and developing differentiated, high-quality and needed medicines that are bringing transformational benefit to patients. Stevenage has over 2000 on-site staff and a wealth of transformation science facilities. Biological science forms a key part of GSKs role to transform patients lives for the better, and we would like you to come and be part of our exciting future!
Your duties might include:
- Working with teams of excellent multi-disciplined scientists both internally and externally to help understand biological mechanisms, or how to characterise and manufacture GSKs biological medicine pipeline
- Use a range of cutting-edge technologies and approaches to help answer key questions for novel target identification and throughout the different phases of drug discovery.
- Operating specialist laboratory equipment to test our products and raw materials
- Learning about the process each drug or product follows through to full scale manufacturing.
- Microbiological & environmental sampling and testing
- Operating specialist equipment to develop new products
- Perform analytical testing to support process development
- Data analysis and interpretation of experimental data and the writing of scientific reports
- Supporting with the maintenance of the laboratory and equipment
On successful completion of the apprenticeship, it is possible to secure a permanent role in GSK and continue to contribute to our mission. The large majority of our apprentices find permanent roles with us. For example some previous Apprentices have gone on to become Associate Scientists!
You’ll be excited by the thought of:
- Being part of an inclusive culture and energised teams at the forefront of the best science working with sScientists and people from multiple disciplines.
- Building your laboratory skills in an R&D setting
- Building your scientific and wider business knowledge skills on a tailored development programme
- Learning how to prioritise and manage projects, objectives and deadlines with high attention to detail.
- Communicating and working across multiple teams and third parties to support the research and discovery of new medicines
- Shaping your own development and learning new skills and concepts
- Studying towards your Bachelors Degree (BSc) in Applied Bioscience.
- A competitive starting base salary of £17,500 per year, rising to £21,500 after one year
- An annual bonus
- A recognition programme to reward exceptional work by you and your team
- A performance and development programme
- Training and Development (including opportunities to attend annual Apprentice development events)
- Access to employee health and well-being programmes
- A fully-sponsored nationally recognised qualification (BSc Applied Bioscience).
Get to grips with our recruitment process
You’ll find hints, tips and guidance on our recruitment process on our website – https://www.gsk.com/en-gb/careers/apprentices-students-and-graduates/apprentice-programmes/applying-for-our-apprentice-programme/
We have changed the way we recruit in light of the COVID-19 pandemic, you can learn more about how our practices have adapted here.
We’re 100% open to all talent
We’re 100% open to all talent – whatever your gender, marital status, religion, age, colour, race, sexual orientation, nationality or disability. We want to recruit the right people for GSK from the widest possible backgrounds, so we can better serve the diversity of our patients and consumers. And also because it’s the right thing to do.
You can learn more about Inclusion and diversity at GSK here.
Need help with your application?
Please email us at email@example.com and let us know how we can help you. Or email us your number and we’ll call you back. We’ll make all reasonable modifications to support you throughout the recruitment process and we’ll treat all information you give us in confidence. Please get in touch to help us process your application as soon as possible.
As a company driven by our values of Patient focus, Transparency, Respect and Integrity, we know inclusion and diversity are essential for us to be able to succeed. We want all our colleagues to thrive at GSK bringing their unique experiences, ensuring they feel good and to keep growing their careers. As a candidate for a role, we want you to feel the same way.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are open to all talent. In the US, we also adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, colour, national origin, religion, gender, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class*(*US only).
We believe in an agile working culture for all our roles. If flexibility is important to you, we encourage you to explore with our hiring team what the opportunities are.
Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you’d like to discuss any adjustments to our process which might help you demonstrate your strengths and capabilities. You can either call us on 0808 234 4391, or send an email firstname.lastname@example.org
As you apply, we will ask you to share some personal information which is entirely voluntary. We want to have an opportunity to consider a diverse pool of qualified candidates and this information will assist us in meeting that objective and in understanding how well we are doing against our inclusion and diversity ambitions. We would really appreciate it if you could take a few moments to complete it. Rest assured, Hiring Managers do not have access to this information and we will treat your information confidentially.